Recently, we can’t surf social media news feeds without seeing an influencer selling a charcoal face-mask online or participating in a challenge to see how many secretions they can pull out of their nose and demonstrate to the world how wonderful the product they are using is. Naturally with the up there is always a down and we also see images of where the face-masks went terribly wrong and left marks on the users face or in the worst case scenario peeled skin right off, some speculate that some brands contain various glues.
Why such different outcomes?
Well, first of all face masks are not all produced equally. Some contain fillers instead of the active ingredients that help the skin and everybody’s skin is different, so it is important to find one that is specific for your skin type, allergies, age etc., as what works for your friend may not work for you. Even if the charcoal is a medical grade version of what is used in filtration systems (not your BBQ) it may not work for you. That is why it is important to talk to a professional rather than just buy something straight from the advertising link on their social media.
When you visit a professional you need to ask some 3 important questions
What is my skin-type? Your skin type will determine what are active ingredients will work best for you. As your body and your environments change, so should your products.
What ingredients/products will work best for me? Knowing the active ingredients will help you determine what works and could be the cause of breaks outs etc. You can always ask your skincare professional for trial sizes to figure out what is best prior to purchasing larger sizes.
How do I use them correctly?It is incredibly important to ensure you are using the products correctly to avoid damaging your skin. Your skincare professional can provide a demonstration if you are unsure.
Our skin is our largest organ it has up to many layers and protects our insides from external threats, which contributes hugely to our immune system. Our skin also helps the body to retain water, which sustains our lives. So when we think of it like that, we should really be taking care it!
Why are face masks so important?
Here are our top 5 reasons
- They deep cleanse. Fabulous skin starts with fabulous cleansing! When impurities and dead skin cells cling to the skin they prevent the production of sebum, which is the skins natural conditioner. The right face mask will remove these impurities from the surface, therefore encouraging the skins natural oils to improve.
- They unclog pores. Clogged pores happen at all stages of life, not just from teenage hormones. They can also come from make-up, the environment you’re in day-to-day and pollution. Grease, dirt and various other particles will build up and cause black heads and pimples. The right face mask for your skin type will remove them.
- They leave skin glowing. With the production of sebum and unclogged pores the skin will start to maintain a healthy glow. When you start using the right face mask you will notice this effect immediately after the first application. In order to maintain this glow most face masks should be used at least once a week or as per direction.
- They assist in relaxation. An excellent way to use a face mask is to apply it to your face and neck just before you get into a bath. Add some soothing eye cream for a full effect and a few drops of lavender into the water. Sit back and chill for 20 minutes.
- They are for everyone. There is a face mask for every age, gender and skin type. We like GM Collins because they have targeted solutions for skincare types, which include face masks. They have products for Dehydrated, Sensitive, Normal, Dry, Oily and acne prone skin. They even have products for hyper-pigmentation and aging skin. The right face mask will take all of your needs. One product does not fit all.